On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 07:41:32PM +0200, sara fink wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:58:48PM +0200, sara fink wrote:
> > > I want to boot a livecd, and use dd to create image of asus eee 901 which
> > > has 2 partitions of ntfs (in total 12gb).
> >
> > Why would that require ntfs support?
>

> The laptop came with windows xp home. I want to backup all the stuff
> (drivers specific to this asus eee) before I connect the laptop to the
> internet.
> The partitions are ntfs and the backup hd is also ntfs.
> I tried some livecd distributions and they didnt come with ntfs support.
>

> > And even if you did want to mount that partition, you could easily
> > include the ntfs module in the initrd. On a Debian system you can force
> > including a module in the initrd by adding it to
> > /etc/initramfs-tools/modules .
>

> But this is if I install the distribution? I just want to boot from livecd,
> dd to iso and burn the iso. Will install first of all,  a normal windows
> system and after windows will finish the duties, will wipe it and install
> linux.

dd does not require ntfs drivers in the kernel. It is just a simple
image of the partition.

And even if you did want to mount them, modular NTFS support would have
been fine, as you only need to read from the partition after the system
has booted.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                    |  best