2009/1/3 sara fink <sara.f...@gmail.com>:
> Recently I searched for diskimage programs and came across this program
> http://www.dubaron.com/diskimage/ but I haven't tried it.
> That program is for windows.

I have access only to linux for that matter.

> There are other 2 programs for linux which you might consider and they are
> for linux. Clonezilla (I wasn't succesful with that, due to other reasons,
> but might work for you) and the 2nd option which I prefer is g4u. g4u you
> rescue to ftp server. upload the files to a ftp server. This might help. I
> will try later today g4u and tell you. I use g4u to backup ntfs filesystems.

My problem is with (what appears to be) a currupt media. Clonezilla
and g4u are sort of backup programs.

That's why I think ddrescue is the right tool - it just keeps trying
to read each and every block on the device and skip over blocks which
can't be read even after a few retries.

> As for your questions:
> What makes you think that if you put another usb hd you will start from 137
> and up?

No, I don't think I need another USB hd, I think I need another
external IDE->USB enclosure with an IDE/ATA controller which can
support 200Gb, to read the last part of my defective disk.

> To recover file names try to look here:
> http://forums.getdata.com/computer-data-recovery/90-why-cant-recover-filenames.html
>
> Maybe their program will help.
>
> as for identifying the file name in the gz file, might be tricky. Usually
> the file name appears in the first line (header). So in general cat of the

I see that the gzip format indeed contains the original file name in
the header. I don't see a way to view this using the gzip/gunzip
tools. Maybe I'll have to resort to Perl script for that, I was hoping
I'll be able to avoid that. :(

> first line or head should do the trick. I did once such a thing on a movie.

gz are binary files. No "first line" here.

Cheers,

--Amos