On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Shlomo Solomon
<shlomo.solo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got several replies. Here's a summary of what worked or didn't.
>

> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
>> I think it is because of the the many flash adds they have.
>> Use adblock to block these adds and it should work fine.
> I installed adblock plus, but it didn't solve the problem. CPU use dropped
> only slightly, but adblock killed all the pictures and the icons at the top
> of the page (but only some of the flash!!) so YNET was not really usable.
>

> On Sunday 28 September 2008, David Ronkin wrote:
>> I had the same issue in Suse. After i installed the Flash blocker it
>> disappeared:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=flash+block&cat=all
> This did seem to solve the problem, but, although I agree there's to much
> flash on YNET, killing it all seems to be over-kill.
>

> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Boaz Rymland wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge its not the flash objects on the page but
>> rather the JS they use there. I was told once its the scrolling news
>> thingy they use which eats the CPU.
> I don't think that's true. After installing flash blocker, the scrolling news
> was also gone. Clicking on the location it usually appears re-enabled the
> scrolling news and CPU use only went up about 2%.
>

> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Gal Gur-Arie wrote:
>> If you'r using the extension of the HTML validator then disable it for Ynet
>> it will help.
> not installed
>

> On Sunday 28 September 2008, Micha wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:44:08 +0300
> << snip snip >>
>> I tend to see this mostly with weaker cpus where it comes into play. Also
>> appears with explorer on windows, not only firefox. The issue is flash and
>> ynet have a lot of them and they are very dynamic which take a lot of cpu.
> As I mentioned above, the flash blocker did reduce CPU use, but my box is an
> AMD 4200 dual core. A few flash windows should not have any real impact on
> the CPU. In fact, with 10 - 15 tabs open (and many of them use flash), I get
> about 2% (or less) CPU usage. Opening YNET jumps that to 140% (as I wrote
> earlier - over 70% on each core). That really makes no sense.
>

> --
> Shlomo Solomon
> http://the-solomons.net
> Sent by KMail 1.9.9 (KDE 3.5.9) on LINUX Mandriva 2008.1

I can verify that disabling JS on firefox solves the problem.
I'm working with FF 3.0.5 on Red Hat 5 EL, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
    6400  @ 2.13GHz, 3GB Ram.

My CPU usage without FF is ~6%, with FF 90%.

To test this -
1. Using firefox 3, JS enabled. Open http://ynet.co.il in 10 new tabs
2. Measure CPU usage in 5min interval. You should see a constant
increase in CPU usage until the point where FF hangs and needs forced
kill.

Now repeat the test, with JS disabled (Edit>Preferences>Content,
uncheck "Enable JavaScript").

To work around this bug,

First install Greasemonkey
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748, then install this
script http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/32443

Now install http://noscript.net/getit

To verify the workaround, browse to ynet, You should see in the upper
right corner - where the news flash used to be - the NoScript logo.

Note that this also disables your ability to read / post comments, If
this functionality is required the easiest solution IMHO is to click
on the "S" icon on the right and selecting "Temporarily allow all this
page"

HTH

P.S - If someone has a better solution on how to block just the
required JS code on ynet.co.il (Using AdBlock Plus) or something
alike, I would love to hear it.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Veksler