Baruch Siach wrote:
Hi Geoff,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:41:23AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I want to make an MD5 checksum of a DVD ROM to verify that it was burned properly.

Is there a way to do this without making an ISO file from it?

While I obivously have to read it, I don't want to do anything with the
data other than calculate the checksum.

What about (assuming that you DVD is /dev/scd0):

md5sum /dev/scd0

baruch

Just keep in mind that if the DVD is encrypted, the hardware may not let you access it. The simplest solution is to load a DVD player and start playing the DVD, and then run the above command. The DVD player will "authenticate" with the hardware, and after that it should allow you free access to the whole medium.

Shachar