Shachar Shemesh <shac...@shemesh.biz> writes:

> None of those links say anything about causing a packets destined
> for a LOCAL ip to actually go out.

This is what I meant when I wrote I hadn't tried this configuration.

> It is, indeed, worth a try.

If you do, I am curious whether it works or not, so a summary will be
appreciated.

> Switching is fine, as long as they are only layer 2 aware. So long
> as you actually have two actual physical network cards, there is no
> reason for the packet not to go out. A layer 3 switch might notice
> the short path, but a layer 2 switch should work fine.

Unless VM0 sends an ARP inquiring about the destination IP, VM1
dutifully replies with its MAC (all through the hypervisor's virtual
switch), then VM0 stack forms a frame with VM1's MAC as destination.
The frame, from VM0's point of view, goes out of its *virtual* NIC,
and then gets L2-switched locally by the virtual switch without going
out of any physical interface.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org