Hi David,

Regarding Fedora, I think that it fails due to some stuff that
normally it does with Anaconda when installing the distribution.

I would suggest something simple:

* Use some partitioning management software like GPartED live CD
(http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) to make room for a Linux
distribution of your choice. Make sure after you've made room, that
the current OS works, just as a fallback.
* Install the desired distribution on that free space, Make sure you
let GRUB use the MBR (Master Boot Record), and make sure the
distribution boots OK, and that Vista boots OK.
* After everything works and you're satisfied, you can use again the
GPartED Live CD to shrink Vista to a minimum and use the empty space
to resize your work partition (or create another partition and update
your /etc/fstab).
* Contrary to other people, I *would not* recommend erasing Vista for
a simple reason: You never know when you'll need it up&running
urgently (I had my share of experience with that, specially when I had
to connect to a special VPN and the installation was .. an ActiveX).
Besides, HDD space is cheap today :)
* Don't forget about the 5GB PDA (PreDesktop Area) in your HDD, thats
the place where Lenovo stores the Vista image, so if you're wiping it
out, at least make a backup of it. Just in case.

Good luck,
Hetz

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM, David Shwatrz <dshwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, Linux-il gurus,
>
>  I am about to wipe windows from a Lenovo 3000 N500 laptop an install Linux.
> I tried the following on this laptop :
> run LiveCD of OpenSuse  - worked.
> run   LiveCD of Fedora 10 (x86_64) : it started the boot process, made
> some messages on the screen,
> and booted again, and so forth and so forth.... never completed Live-CD boot.
> run   LiveCD of Ubuntu (don't remember version): the same as with
> Fedora LiveCD: it started the process, made some messages on the
> screen, and booted again, and so forth and so forth.... never
> completed Live-CD boot.
>

> I don't know why is it so, but what really bothers me is : what next ?
> I am afraid that
> installation of Fedora will not work.
> Does anybody have any experience/recommendation about working Linux on
> Lenovo 3000 N500?
>
> Best,
>
> DS

Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org