Beagle once created huge log files in its directory under my home dir, which clogged my filesystem. It took a while to find the culprit but afterwards it was pretty fast to purge it from my system :-) . That incident, couple with very little use I had for it, convinced me to drop it altogether.

Nobody mentioned the long proven, useful and (very) lean on resources - Linux command line tools like locate, grep, find, vi and probably a few good other "dinosaurs" which I left out of the list. They do what I want today to the point that I don't feel an urge to find such a tool as you describe. Yes, the downside is considerable as well - they are hard to use to the point that probably the new Linux user (=my mother, if she would have ever considered using Linux...) will never use them. I just mention these tools for the sake of the record :-)

Boaz.

but yes - not trivial command line for the casual user (=my mother, if she had used Linux in the first place :-)

Yuval Hager wrote:

בSaturday 04 April 2009, נכתב על ידי Omer Zak:
So I am asking:
1. Which desktop search tool are you using under Linux?

Beagle. I dumped it once for the same reasons you described, but recently I went for the hunt again, and found that beagle has the most index plugins, and it indexes almost everything I have.

2. What are its good and bad points?

It's not as a hog as it was, it integrates nicely with KDE (kerry). I'm not too impress with its search capabilities, but it does a fairly good job. On occasion I am getting angry with it and closing it until I need it again.
3. How happy are you with it?

Pretty happy.

--y