Yuval Hager wrote:
On Thursday 23 April 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
I've been considering encrypting my backups (e.g. using duplicity), but
I am always afraid to lose the backup key when I lose the data I need
to restore. This has the unfortunate implications of practically having
no backups at all.

I'd like to ask the list, when you backup your data (and you do, don't
you?) - do you use encryption? If so, what measures do you take to
ensure the key is safer than the data itself?
My backups are merely encrypted tarballs of my $HOME directory, with a
password. Like you, I fear not having access to whatever data that I
need to open my backups, but do not want to leave them unencrypted.

How do you use the password in an automated backup then?

You encrypt using a public key. You only need the private key in order to decrypt.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.