Every incoming packet goes through "input routing". The result of that
routing is either to receive the packet locally, drop, or forward it.

There is a hidden "local" routing table, that is used to do routing
for incoming packets. It is populated automatically (e.g when u add an
new local interface)

You can display this table and it will help you understand the
behaviour of your system:
ip route list table local