2009/8/19 David Suna <da...@davidsconsultants.com>:
> My son got an inexpensive digital camera and I am trying to plug it in to an
> Ubuntu system to be able to copy off the pictures.  When I plug in the
> camera to the USB a light on the camera flashes but the device is not
> detected as a storage device.  When I run lsusb it sees the device
>
> Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0979:0227 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd

It's not a direct solution to your problem, and maybe things changed
since last time I checked, but personally I prefer to use a card
reader for such tasks:

1. It saves camera battery.
2. It's much faster than the camera's USB interface (?)
3. I suspect that taking out the card and putting it back in is less
unhealthy for the camera than connecting the mini/micro-usb cable.

It's been a few years now that many printers come with a built-in card
reader, so maybe you have one already.

As for getting your camera recognised, maybe the following link could
help or point to the right direction:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB (pointing to possibly more
relevant link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbDriveDoSomethingHowto)

Cheers,