On Tuesday 08 September 2009 10:38:34 Meir Kriheli wrote:
> On 09/08/2009 10:29 AM, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Meir Kriheli wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Much like the services industry around FLOSS a musician can perform live
> >> concerts, merchandising etc.
> >>
> >> There are people looking for different business model in music as well
> >> utilizing various CC licenses, see for example:
> >>
> >> http://www.jamendo.com/en/
> >
> > These are guerilla movements, not mainstream like free software. The
> > reality is that there is no free content market anywhere approaching the
> > free software market, and the reasons are clear.
> >
> >  - yba
>
> Just like FLOSS, everybody has to start somewhere. For sure it's bigger
> compared to couple of years ago, and keeps growing.
>
> That's just an example, you can find more, e.g:
> http://freemusicarchive.org/

Other resources:

1. http://search.creativecommons.org/

2. http://en.wikibooks.org/

3. http://wikimedia.org/ - the Wikipedias and other Wikimedia wikis are free
content (CC-by-sa + GFDL) and can be redistributed and reused.

4. http://creativecommons.org/weblog - points to many resources about Creative
Commons and free-content/open-content.

5. http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia - lots of topical wikis that are also open-
content.

6. http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/? - see their Creative Commons
search.

And the list goes on. Recently, I've come to like Jamendo and downloaded a lot
of good stuff from it. And I agree with Meir that the freely-distributable
content movement needs to start from somewhere, and that hopefully it will
become more mainstream soon.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish