Gabor Szabo wrote:
> I encounter several issues in how to get them to use IRC.
>
> One of them is that they don't find the IRC clients intuitive for them.
>
> The other one is that they seem to be afraid of talking on the main
> project channels.
This is in general a good thing. People should lurk around and learn
what's acceptable and what's not on any given channel before speaking up.

At least at first, before they get used to the IRC culture.

There is also one very good document by ESR, which will help
newbies to avoid misstepping at first:
>  I know it is difficult to wonder in a room full of people
> and start talking. It is difficult if the channel is silent and it is
> difficult
> if people are already talking. The newcommer can feel that
> s/he is making noise or interrupting the conversation.
>
> So I was wondering how to try to solve this?
>
> We have our own channel for the project where they started to talk
> a bit. That's a good step.
I think that's a perfect first step.
>  I was wondering if we should setup a
>
> #projectname_babytalk or #projectname_kindergarten or #projectname_newbies
> channel in the hope that people can start talking there first?
> If so what name would you suggest?

Those are a bit derogatory. There is usually an option of setting up
##project,
which, at least on FreeNode, implies "non-official" status. Or you could
just
prefix it with your group name (presuming you have one).

Either way, once some relevant discussion is happening on your own channel,
start gently directing people towards official channels ("Oh, this is a good
question. I think it's best asked on #project").
> What other strategies do you suggest?
>
> Gabor

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh
http://www.total-knowledge.com