Shlomi

Excellent analysis. Right on.

I will add one more point from personal experience.  People buy games with
their eyes.  A couple years ago I was experimenting with Croquet and Small
Talk (both OSS tools) for a virtual world application and I had the
opportunity to learn more about Microsoft DirectX

Being a major game developer - Microsoft developed DirectX with the needs of
high performance 3D graphics/game developers in mind.   DirectX and XNA Game
Studio are tremendous productivity boosts to game developers - Microsoft
understands what developers need and also the extreme importance of how good
the graphics need to look

I suggest comparing the open source Croquet project with any  DIrectX
project - Croquet looks pathetically primitive and clunky by comparison.

--
Danny Lieberman
http://www.dannylieberman.info