On Wednesday, 30 בSeptember 2009 16:09:33 Amos Shapira wrote:
> Thanks but it's not as cheap as I was hoping for ("starts at $1995")
> and is proprietary. I'd prefer to stick to something more open, like
> iSCSI, and cheaper.

Leaving price aside, calling it proprietary is complete injustice
to the product.

Some history...
  http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0404.2/1226.html

Today... a snippet from 'modinfo aoe'
author:         Sam Hopkins <s...@coraid.com>
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i686.PAE SMP mod_unload 686

Also...
$ yum list aoetools
aoetools.i586      23-2.fc11        installed

In Debian...
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/aoetools.html

Last but not least...
  http://www.coraid.com/RESOURCES/AoE-Protocol-Definition

So we have a free software driver, in upstream kernel for several years,
maintained by the company itself, including free software user space tools
and with simple and accessible protocol definition --

I wish all hardware vendors were as open.

Cheers,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
o...@actcom.co.il                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron