On Tuesday, 15 בJune 2010 09:12:53 Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Thanks for the long and detailed reply!

Yes, but you (probabely by mistake) replied to me only.
I reply to the mailing list with your full content, so
the context is not lost.

> Just to make sure I got you correctly, you're saying that no GUI app should
> ask for root privileges ever, and only known application should use root
> privileges, GUI applications would then only interface them (either through
> socket, or by allowing anyone to sudo this specific application).

Generally yes.

> That's covers installation related software, but what about other software
> which needs root privileges? Say I want to run gparted? I don't want to run
> a gparted server all day long just for the time I need to run it, and I do
> want to be able to run it occasionally.

There is no problem with activation on demand (with D-Bus it's a piece
of cake).

What I say is that new mechanisms have split implementation:
 - A priviledged bussiness logic
 - A non-priviledged UI

BTW: this is a classic separation between interface and implementation
     and directly leads to other, non-security-related, advantages
     (e.g: multiple interfaces (console, GUI, Web-based) to the same
      bussiness logic).

> Vista authentication model still works, I'll be sure I'm giving root
> permissions to gparted and not to something that looks like gparted.
> (The flaws you mentioned in the *current* Vista model are known, but I
> believe some could be addressed, some flaws you mentioned are inherent to
> Windows in general, and to the sudo-like mechanism it applies).

I'm the last to pretend being a Windows expert. However, the latest
security related happenings in Vista-7, demonstrate that not much was
changed from Vista (other than some colored cellophane and few more,
much needed, drivers and bug-fixes).

> (BTW about the registery, can someone please tell me what the gconf authors
> were thinking? When I saw that the first thing I thought is "Oh no, I ran
> away from windows to hide from the dreaded registery monster, and once again
> it raises its ugly head!")

The only thing common between Windows registry and gconf is that both
create a hierarchy of options.

All the rest is exactly the opposite:
 * Access to settings is via gconfd which runs as the session *user*.
   This means that even if the code is as buggy as hell, it CANNOT
   touch *system-wide* settings.

 * No monolithic storage -- settings can be (and typically are) stored
   in several locations (look at /etc/gconf/2/path)

 * Storage technology backends can be selected per-location -- the
   currently used backend -- XML files.
     [
         google for "why-the-windows-registry-sucks-technically"
         an interesting article by Richard WM. Jones
     ]

 * An application can not only get/set/query the settings, but can
   also request notification when an (other) application modifies
   specific settings. These notification are obviously sent by
   gconfd (which is a non-priviledged process, owned by the user)

 * It is not related at all to system level settings (kernel, modules,
   boot control, etc). So clobbering it won't brick your system.

Comparing this to the registry is a sad joke.

> BTW please note that authentication don't have to be done with crypto!
> Unwritable file paths could do as well. If for instance you'll only allow
> programs in /usr/bin/* to ask for root privileges, and the user will see the
> full path of the software asking for root privileges, it provides enough
> authentication. The idea is to know who's asking for root relying on things
> which are more secure than the software icon, it doesn't have to be crypto.

You got confused:
 - It's not the user that need to verify that the program is "good"
 - It's the program that need to verify that the *user* is authorized

So if a program (e.g: /sbin/ifconfig) want to know that you are
authorized to change the host IP address, it need some form of
proof that you are not an imposter. This can be done in various
forms. For example:
 - Enter a password
 - Show a crypto key only you have
 - Ask someone trusted (e.g: the kernel)

Your argument focuses on the reverse issue:

  How the user can verify that the program is "good"

As previously explained, this problem exist only for users
that follow the Windows software model:
 * Install programs from many random locations and hope for good ;-)

In the linux software model:
 * All software is centrally installed from signed distro repo

Now *if* the (authorized) user already installed the software (i.e:
trusted the distro repository), why should each user on the
same system be asked if the program is trusted?

What security layer is really added here? (hint: none)