Hi,

IMHO, the 4 core  (or 4/8 core) is what you need.
what you describe should not happen.
If the system in under warranty, use it.
if not there are several options:
if the system is old replacing the thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink might help.
when the thermal paste is old and try is it less effective.
wrong output voltages of the power supply can cause such a thing. if you can, switch power supply with other system and see if this helps.
get a bigger heat sink, something like this

http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/hpf.htm

or, go to a near by computer store and and ask them to fix it.

Alon.