Hello folks!

I am trying to assist in the following situation:

The user has a 1u IBM "Pizza" server. It was configured as one partition
(ext3) and loaded with Centos something-or-other, with the partition set
up as a single LVM volume (yes, including the root directory).

One fine day, after a reboot, it ran fsck which conked out after
checking about 12% of the disk advising to run fsck manually. At that
point, we logged in as root, and ran fsck -n /dev/whatever to see what's
happening.

The latter yielded the dreaded corrupt super block, try the next one
(8193). That (as I kind of expected) didn't work either.

>From being root I can "see" the various directories an even cd to them.
I am aware  that it means little if their contents are corrupted.

Question:

1. Are there any recovery tools for this kind of situation?
2. Is my only choice, to install another pre-partitioned hard disk, log
in with (say) a "live" CD, mount the corrupt disk and try to manually
copy my data directories?

Regards,

Daniel