On Aug 14, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:

Hi all,

I am considering buying a FIC CE268 laptop, and would like to get reviews
about it from current users of it.

There is also one called the JumPC which is about the same price. I don't know much about it, except it was sold originally in toy stores, so it was aimed at a younger market. From the pictures I saw of it, it was more rugged than your average cheap netbook. Before you buy it, you may want to check out if it runs linux, it comes with Windows/XP.

Both have small, lo-res screens.

If money is less of a concern, there are three to consider. I have an MSI Wind U100 (there is an improved model out now). Paid over 2000 NIS, but it is bigger (10 inch LED screen 1024x600), has a decent sized keyboard in is very well built. I've never run it more than 3 hours on at a time on the batteries, but if you spin down the hard drive, etc, it will last for at least 6 if you buy the 6 cell battery version. I run a BSD variant on mine.

The newer netbooks (again in the 2k NIS region) have better graphic chips than the older ones. The older ones have Intel 950's, these have better ones I think they are Intel GMA 3500's. Check before you buy.

There is a dual core ATOM processor, and there are netbooks in the pipeline that have them. The only one I have seen so far cost almost 3000 NIS, but I expect that they will replace the single core ones in a few months, both in availability and price.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)