On Friday 03 September 2010 06:04:59 Steve G. wrote:
> My 4+ year old Macbook is dying a slow death, and I am contemplating
> getting a new laptop and would like your advice. Here are the parameters:
>

>    -  My environment is Linux, Ubuntu for the last 2-3 years, and I would
>    like to have it available to me on the laptop if I can. I have little
> use for either Mac OS-X or Windows as far as actually making much use of
> the software, beyond vary basic usage (iTunes, VLC, etc.). Linux is a
> different story.
>

>    -  I have several reasons to buy a Windows 7 machine. First, I have a
>    Magellan GPS that only works with Windows. Second, some bank accounts
>    require it to fully function. Third, I can get a lot more computer for
> the money with Wintel than with Apple. Last, Ubuntu Laptops with the
> latest hardware may or may not work.
>

>    - So, I am thinking about getting a 64x, core i3 laptop from Toshiba or
>    Dell. These are available with 13-15" screen, 250-350GB HD (I think IDE,
>    some are Sata but more expensive), 3-4GB RAM. In theory, at least, these
> can be virtualized, and I should be able to run either vmware, xen,
> virtual box or whatever client MS provides for free. One can get core i3
> for around $500
>
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know if Win7 includes a virtualization program that would
> allow me to run Linux under it? How efficient is it - will I be able to put
> it on full screen, forget I am running Windows, and use my preferred
> environment?

I don't know if it "includes" anything like that, but you can always install
something like the open-source VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've been using VirtualBox happily on top of Linux. There's also VMware which
isn't free or gratis and other solutions.

> 2. Any recommendations for something that is fully compatible with Linux,
> in case I get an alternative and can get rid of the windows part?

I bought this Acer laptop:

http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#computers-specs

"Acer Aspire 5738DZG" and it works perfectly fine with Mandriva Linux 2010.1
(most everything I've tried there works, with a few minor glitches), though
it's a relatively old model - Dual Core.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish