Hi,
I just came across this thread from back in Aug about Amazon's cloud.

I'd like to add that I have been a satisfied customer of Amazon for over a
year, using their services for both consulting at at my current job where we
use it to run our SaaS offering. The capabilities keep improving and the
prices keep coming down. Their lowest end server is now just 2 cents an
hour!

There are some issues with the IO, but it is certainly adequate for all but
high performance needs. We use 8 way stripped disks and get about 100 MBp/s
sequential reads.

If anyone wants more details, I'll be happy to share with you.

-tom