On Oct 11, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

I did not have any experience with the Intel graphics cards and their drivers (which are always built-in-on-the-board). Their Linux drivers have been open- source from the start, and Intel also released specifications, but someone told me that their cards are of low quality and reliability. But I don't have
any first-hand experience with it so I cannot confirm.

The Intel onboard graphics chipsets are perfectly fine for normal use. They seem to be much better than the other onboard graphics chipsets of 10 years ago. They are not really accelerated graphics devices, if you want something to display windows on your screen, with stationary graphics or text, play videos (using the CPU to decode the compressed video) etc, they are fine.

If you are trying to play a game that uses a graphics accelerator, or have a very large monitor they are probably not what you want.

They also have no memory of their own, so if you are limited to the amount of RAM you have (or can use) then they may not be able to perform to their full potential.

As for reliabilty, Intel does not make graphics cards, they make graphics chips. Many of the reliability issues are with the cards/ motherboards which are not made by Intel.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)