On 23/01/11 16:04, Stan Goodman wrote:
I am considering installing a TV card in my desktop machine, to  enable me
to view programming of terrestrial digital TV stations. I would be
grateful for any remarks from users of such cards about reliability, ease
of installation, ease of use, availability of drivers, and other pertinent
characteristics. I would be interested in viewing video both on the
monitor, monitor in a partial screen, and sometimes through an existing
external analog TV receiver.

Ability to record video is a secondary consideration for me, as far as I
can now predict.

If the ability to record is secondary, I'd go with the simplest cards. I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 card, which is excellent for recording (I was actually too lazy to set up a full DVR - we record using a glorified "cat /dev/video0 > show.mpg"), but it is much more difficult to watch live TV with it (couldn't get it to work, even though, in theory, /dev/video24 should work just like with the dumb card).

Be aware that if you use the card's build in encoder, you suffer a mandatory 1-2 seconds delay. Trying to watch the stream sooner than that, and you might reach a point where the output compresses so well that the card's encoder decides to keep it inside until it has enough data, and your player will reach the end of file and terminate. This means that even if your card is an encoding card, you will want to use the non-encoded output for watching live TV.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.