On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 15:31, Geoff Shang <ge...@quitelikely.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
>
>> Possibly never, but at least for a long time. The current DNS system is
>> IPv4 only, but serves both IPv4 and IPv6. If you have your DNS set up to
>> include IPv6, the information will be available, but the client needs to be
>> able to interpet it.
>
> Some root-servers now have IPv6 addresses.  Until I started writing this, I
> was under the impression that all did, but according to
> ftp://ftp.internic.net/domain/named.root (which is the authoritative source
> for the root-servers list), only A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
> H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
> K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET and M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET have IPv6
> addresses.

Only 2 out of the 13 .net and .com main name servers have IPv6
addresses, although I guess for today that's enough. I checked and all
.org and .info name servers have IPv6 addresses. For .il only 2 name
servers have IPv6 addresses. For .eg only 1 (out of 3) name server has
an IPv6 address.

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/net.html
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/com.html
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/org.html
http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/info.html

All the major ISPs in Israel's name servers don't have IPv6 addresses.
Some of my hosting provider (servage.net)'s name servers have IPv6
addresses.

I think they don't define IPv6 addresses to all the name servers,
because some users will not work when IPv6 addresses are defined - and
they can query only servers who don't have any IPv6 address defined.

>> Since BIND is open source software, nothing is preventing you or anyone
>> else from adding IPv6 support to it. Eventually someone will do it, and 100%
>> IPv6 networks will become possible.
>
> Are you saying that Bind cannot connect to DNS root-servers over IPv6? What
> other functionality is it missing?  Certainly we run a virtual server on an
> IPv6 connection that also runs an authoritative DNS server for those domains
> and we've experienced no problems.

I think BIND comes with a default root servers list, and this list is
IPv4. Then if you work only with IPv4, you will not have any root
server defined. But I'm not sure, last time I checked was a long time
ago.

By the way, I noticed a problem with one of the .il name servers -
ns-il.ripe.net [193.0.12.108] returns the other .il name servers and
not the domain's name servers - for example
[http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/legacy/?formaction=DNSLOOKUP&ToolFormName=customlookup&name=walla.co.il&r=235660&detail=0&type=MX]
(press "Click Here"). Do you know why they added this name server to
the list of .il name servers?

 DNS server handling your query: ns-il.ripe.net.
 DNS server's address:  193.0.12.108#53

 Non-authoritative answer:
 *** Can't find walla.co.il: No answer

 co.il  nameserver = nsb.ns.il.
 co.il  nameserver = nse.ns.il.
 co.il  nameserver = sns-pb.isc.org.
 co.il  nameserver = nsd.ns.il.
 co.il  nameserver = dns8.denic.de.
 co.il  nameserver = ildns.huji.ac.il.
 co.il  nameserver = lookup.iucc.ac.il.
 nsb.ns.il      internet address = 192.115.210.60
 nsd.ns.il      internet address = 149.20.56.132
 nsd.ns.il      has AAAA address 2001:4f8:3:37::11
 nse.ns.il      internet address = 192.115.141.253
 ildns.huji.ac.il       internet address = 128.139.6.66
 lookup.iucc.ac.il      internet address = 128.139.34.240

By the way, why do 012 smile (Internet Zahav) and Netvision have only
2 name servers? Is it enough? Do their DNS servers never fail?

Uri Even-Chen
Mobile Phone: +972-50-9007559
E-mail: u...@speedy.net
Website: http://www.speedy.net/