On Mar 2, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Elazar Leibovich wrote:

The fact you got installation discs, doesn't mean its legal/ permitted by MS to install them on any computer you want.

It depends. From what I understand of the EULA (which you can easily find on their site if you want to read it) if you buy an OEM version of Windows from Microsoft, you can install it on another computer if the one you bought it with is replaced by the new one. For example, if your motherboard dies, and you buy a new computer instead of a new motherboard.

However it is not legal to install it on another computer if the first one still exists or has it installed.

It's also legal to install it in a virtual machine as long as that virtual machine is run only on the computer it was bought for, and only is used by the person who is using the computer. So those virtualization packages which let you run multiple monitors and keyboards require a separate license for each virtual machine.

The OEM versions included by a manufacturer, e.g. HP, are different. What is included and how is up to them. Most only include an install partition on the hard drive, and install Windows from that. They usually include a program to make install disks, but the disks can only install on that particular model (it checks BIOS signature) and wipe any drive they are used on.

Usually these are not upgradable. For example we bought a Packard Bell computer instead of an HP because HP included 32 bit Windows and we needed 64. To get it on the HP we would of had to buy the full retail version.

The OEM can include a sicker with a "magic number" to do an install if the BIOS signature changes, but they cost more and are often no longer done. Note that the BIOS specific versions of Windows will not install in a virtual machine without the magic number.

As far as buying a laptop without Windows, I highly recommend against it. You are not going to save very much, probably around 100 NIS, and it really lowers the resale/gift value. It's just a question of whether or not you think you will sell it before it becomes so obsolete no one wants it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.