Hi,

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM, geoffrey mendelson
<geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know the cheapest (or just a cheap one) GSM phone with a USB
> interface that is supported by a Linux program to send SMSs?
>
> In other words, I want to write a program to monitor various conditions and
> then send me an SMS if they out of the proper range. I'm looking to spend as
> little money as possible.
>
> I was thinking of a cheap GSM phone with a USB interface connected to a Linux
> system. I no longer have a modem for pager emulation, and since one of the
> conditions is a down internet connection, I don't want to use the internet to
> do it (if I could).
>
> The question is which phone and what software drives it? I want the SMSs to
> arrive at an Orange phone, but I have both Cell-Com and Orange SIMs, so if
> one is supported and not the other, it's fine with me if they will send SMSs
> to each other.
>
> I also have a ZTE MF637 modem, I know Linux supports it for dial-up, does it
> support it for SMSs?

We've used for a project that sends/receives SMS simple Sony Ericsson
phones. You could go over the supported db for gammu/wammu and find
the ones you like:

http://wammu.eu/phones/

Of course sms should be one of the supported features ;-)

Also see Guy Sheffer's blog post (used a cheep fake Nokia):
http://guysoft.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/smsgate/

PS
We had problems with gammu-smsd packaged in Debian Lenny - so if
you're using Debian, go with Squeeze.

Cheers
--
Meir