On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:38:26 Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> I'm trying to find a solution to this issue:
>
> I'm running an sftp-server in ubuntu. Users can login and upload files.
> What I want to do is to run a script (on the server side) that after user
> logged in and uploaded a file.
>
> sftp-server man pages don't give any help about this issue.

The `sftp-server' is a free program, so you can take the source and
fix it any way you want.  I wanted to check this so I downloaded the
openssh source tar ball and looked at sftp-server.c .

I found out that without any change, you can get a log message when
the `sftp-server' close a file, this message include the file name
and the number of bytes read and written.  By watching this log you
can do whatever you want after each action.

Since these are informative messages, You must change the `sftp-server'
logging level to INFO, by adding "-l INFO" arguments to the `Subsystem'
command in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

If don't want the messages in the SYSLOG, you can add the "-e" argument
and redirect the stderr (i.e ... -l INFO -e 2>>/dir/.../log-file).

You can use a FIFO file when redirecting so you can read the messages
by a program or script directly. (please note, every time the sftp
session ends, there is an EOF on the reading side, so you must restart
to read).

I did not check what happens when more then one `sftp-server' is
running, I leave it to you.

The messages from a short session:
    session opened for local user ehud from [192.168.3.6]
    open "/var/tmp/chk-ip.sh" flags WRITE,CREATE,TRUNCATE mode 0770
    close "/var/tmp/chk-ip.sh" bytes read 0 written 1326
    remove name "/var/tmp/chk-ip.sh"
    session closed for local user ehud from [192.168.3.6]

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign