Quoting Yedidyah Bar-David, from the post of Wed, 15 Jun:

> Perhaps it uses USB1 and not 2?

nope, I had that problem when I accidentally switched ports to a USB1
port, the 22 minute burn took over 113 minutes before I noticed it was
still writing and killed it.

also, to answer Geoff - nothing else is on the USB, the M/K are on PS/2
connectors. Maybe the same controller chip, but not the same bus or
kernel module.

at least with oflag=dsync it doesn't get the entire userspace stuck,
whatever that does.

bs=8M is the next parameter I'll try, or maybe I should go for 32M?

> Can you rmmod all *hci_ucd modules except for ehci_hcd and see what
> happens?

nope, I assumed Ubuntu would have taken precautions not to insmod
anything useless for my hardware...

> Did you try cp (or cp --sparse=always if you really want to) and
> see if it helps? I don't know of a similar option for dd.

I have here an image with partitions in it, which is why I use DD. cp
can't help me, sadly.

--
A fetus who made it
Ira Abramov