As per Subject, this is my first smart phone, and I am engaged in trying
to discover if I myself as smart as it is; the outlook is bleak. More
than it should be because the documentation seems to be written for a
reader who already knows the score and needs only a bit of memory
nudging to recall the drill. As OT as this is, I hope I can ask here for
answers to a few questions.

The instrument is HTC Aria. The two questions that are bugging me at the
moment are:

1) The on-screen keyboard for writing messages defeats me, because the
"keys" are absurdly narrow, certainly more so than my fingers, and there
is absolutely no chance that I would ever be able to peck out even a
short coherent message with them. This suggests that there must be a way
to type with a stylus, rather then directly with fingers. I have tried
to use objects made of various materials, but so far nothing works. How
do people type on these things?

2) I succeeded in telphoning to a friend this evening, to his land-line
phone. For a while, the sound I got was quite good and distinct, but
after a bit, it began to fade in and out, so that cconversation became
intermittent and impossible. There is a cell-phone tower less than a
kilometer away from my home. Is this the level of service that I have to
look forward too? The fading suggests that the communication may be
affected by passing vehiles; is this possiblle over such a short
distance?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on