Thanks, Ari (and also Oleg Goldshmidt).
As it happened, I installed SLiM (without removing Gnome packages) on
the laptop and it worked - enabled access to several desktops, XFCE
being one of them.
I think there was a dialog to select the default login manager during
installation.

Failed attempts:

1. I also had a look over /usr/share/doc/gdm3 - but the documentation
there was not useful.  There is no gdm3-doc package in Debian Squeeze.

2. There are configuration files in /etc/gdm3 but I was not successful
in figuring them out or whether there is an option to enable the feature
of choosing a desktop.

3. From Gnome main menu: Applications/System Tools/GkDebconf (Why the
hell is there no right click menu item to display the command line
actually invoked when selecting a menu item?!) starts GkDebconf.  I
choose Section 'gnome' and from it I select package 'gdm3'.  It then
asks for root password and...cycles back to the above package selection
dialog.

By the way, in Debian Wheezy you can install gdm (rather than gdm3,
which is installed by default in Debian Squeeze) and it then allows you
to switch desktops.

--- Omer