I thought I got the joke, but was not sure if it was Monty Python, so thanks
for clarifying.

Now a technical question - wouldn't we still be able to run Linux as a
virtual machine under windows? So what's the big deal? Practically all
laptops today, and most desktops, come with some flavor of windows. All one
needs to do is use a VMM from Oracle, MS, VmWare, Citrix/XEN, Parallels,
etc. and  use it to run Linux! It may reduce performance a little, but quite
frankly, today's computers are so over-specified for their usage (do I
really need a 3 core CPU to browse the net? most of what I do is i/o and
networking, not computation).

So I can have my cake, and Microsoft can have theirs too. The only possible
impact is that selection of Linux compatible machines would be limited to
those manufactured with Linux in mind, so I would probably have to pay more
instead of getting whatever is on sale. On the positive side, though, unlike
all my discounted hardware, these would work under Linux right off the bat,
instead of a year later (yes, finally my Toshiba can use the earphones under
Linux, not just the tinny speakers, as was the case till now! On the other
hand, Unity 3D still hard freezes my computer, or at least my Xserver on
every machine I tested...)

Let the flames begin.

Z.
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011, Tzafrir Cohen wrote about "Re: FSF Campaign against
> Microsoft's Plan to Enforce "Secure Boot"":
> > > There are plenty of other organizations to support.
> >
> > People's Front of Judea is one.
>
> No way, I hate them! I support the Judean People's Front!
>
> (If someone doesn't understand the joke, you haven't seen the movie
> "Life of Brian" :-)).
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |                    Monday, Oct 24
> 2011,
> n...@math.technion.ac.il
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |"We don't see things as they are, we
> see
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |them as we are." -- Anais Nin

Sincerely,

Steve