On 12/21/2011 03:57 PM, geoffrey mendelson wrote:

On Dec 21, 2011, at 3:37 PM, Raz wrote:

I did not get a refund , i just bought a machine with freedos instead
and got a discount of 200 shekels.

I'm not sure that's going to happen much longer. With Windows 7 (and now XP too) Microsoft no longer requires a "magic number" (license key) to install the system. If you install a new system without a license key, or boot a pre-installed one for the first time, it will become a 30 day free trial.

Since you can download the full distribution disks for free, the "value" of a free trial system is 0.

Large companies such as HP, etc may still give you a discount as they have already bought the software in bulk, but they may not too. Small companies such as Ivory, etc can just fulfill their contract with Microsoft at no user refundable cost.

I assume you mean SLIC in the ACPI, so your computer just have a license key embedded in it's writable CMOS memory, so what? How's that changing anything? The data in Windows distribution has always been free, you're paying per license to use, not anything else. In fact, they insist on it being zero cost, when I ordered an upgrade disk last time, they only billed me a ridiculous sum for S&H. The fact that Microsoft and vendors has always being secretive on allowing you to download the distribution CDs is another, unrelated issue.

--
MichaelV