On Sat, Jan 14, 2012, Amichai Rotman wrote about "Re: [OUT?] Help with
Android?":
> Can we host it on HUJI servers?

Eli?
(or is someone else running the list now?)

If for some reason that doesn't work, there are also Hamakor's servers
which I assume could be used for this purpose. Is the person running Hamakor
mailing lists reading this and can confirm? (as you can see below, I
hope this mailing list *will* be relevant to Hamakor's charter).

> I am reluctant of using those public list servers (like Yahoo! Groups) - is
> there a way to start an Israeli specific list on Google Groups?

Of course Google Groups is also possible, but I do think a non-commercial
host is better.

I propose the following focus for the mailing list. Do people agree, or
do other people prefer a different focus?

        * The mailing list's official language will be English (like in
          Linux-il). I don't know how popular this suggestion will be...

        * The intended audience are (would be) advanced users and (aspiring)
          developers, i.e., Android users who are interested in understanding
          better how their device works, and even improving it - not users
          who never plan to do more than installing games. The subscribers
          *can* be newbies, but newbies of the type that aspire to learn,
          not newbies who plan to remain newbies forever.

        * The list should focus on free software and open-source. While
          specific hardware devices and some non-free software can be
          mentioned, compared, etc., they should not become the focus of this
          list, just like the focus of linux-il isn't to compare PC
          manufacturers and non-free Linux software (although the
          occasional thread on these topics are acceptable).

        * The list is for high-level discussions - it won't be a mailing
          list for cooperating closely on the development of a particular
          piece of software.

        * The intended audience is Israeli, in case we ever want to meet in
          person or discuss Israel-specific questions (hadware sold in
          Israel, Hebrew-related questions, etc.). But for all other intents
          and purposes, non-Israelis are just as welcome. In fact I hesitate
          if/how we should even mention that this is an "Israeli" list.

Any other thoughts?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                  Saturday, Jan 14 2012,