I asked on the mailing lists after a quick search in
http://bugs.debian.org/ failed to yield results.
Now I made more determined search and found the following:

Accoding to it, there are problems with the Suhosin patch and human
resources needed to deal with the problems are missing.

It is a case of you are doomed if you do, and you are doomed if you
don't.
At least people need to be aware of this.

--
PHP - the language of the Vogons.

I may be affiliated in any way.