2012/2/28 Micha <mi...@post.tau.ac.il>

>  For a project I'm working on at the moment, I need to be able to log in
> remotely to a machine (via ssh) and start a blank x-server. That is, to
> just initialize the display, with not cursor or window manager, to allow
> for creating a single full screen window for display.
> I seem to recall that just running X as a user used to do it, up to the no
> cursor part, leaving an empty (hetched) screen and running the content of
> .xsession or something like that.
> Things on modern systems seems to have changed enough with all the
> xsession / gdm / gnome etc. that it doesn't seem to happen properly.

I'm aware of the long thread this post has started, but just wanted to
point out that I have just stumbled upon the following page (while looking
for instructions for adding hamster-time-tracker applet to the Debian
Wheezy GNOME 3.2 desktop, still searching) which points to
/etc/gdm3/Xsession which seems to allow you to put whatever you want to run
in the session:

http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable/configuration.html.en#xsessionscript

HTH,

--Amos