It depends upon your tradeoffs.
If you use mostly Western fonts (Latin, Hebrew, etc.) and want to
economize on memory use, use UTF-8.  However, for Chinese, it costs more
memory than it saves.

If you need to use Far Eastern fonts and/or have random access for your
text, use fixed size wide character encoding (16 bit or 32 bit size).

My suggestion for the particular case of libhspell is as follows.
1. Is there any standard API for spellchecking libraries?  If yes, try
to use it.
2. Otherwise, specify two such APIs - one is UTF-8 based, one is fixed
size wide character based.  Create two binary variants of the libhspell
and optimize each one for the corresponding API.  Hopefully, it'll be
possible to use essentially the same code base for 16 bit and 32 bit
characters.

The rationale is that different wordprocessors may need either API, and
that they need to run spellchecking as fast as possible.

--- Omer

--
$ python
>>> type(type(type))