Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:54:49 +0300
From: Baruch Siach <bar...@tkos.co.il>
To: Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il>
Cc: Oleg Goldshmidt <p...@goldshmidt.org>, ILUG <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Re: [YBA] kernel compile errors with GCC >= 4.6

Hi Yonatan,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:48:15PM +0300, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:
Problem still seems to be in 3.3 unless defined CONFIG_VSX.

What does the warning say?

Should I submit a patch?

Probably. Although you should base your patch on v3.4-rc1.

baruch

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:22:59 +0300
From: Baruch Siach <bar...@tkos.co.il>
To: Oleg Goldshmidt <p...@goldshmidt.org>
Cc: Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il>, ILUG <linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il>

Hi Oleg,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 12:49:44PM +0300, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Jonathan Ben Avraham <y...@tkos.co.il>wrote:

Dear linux-il colleagues,
GCC 4.6 introduced many new warnings that cause -Werror to stop the
compilation for some platforms, such as powerpc, in various files.

Oh, I didn't even know they finally introduced -Werror... Good.

This in the default only for PowerPC specific code, i.e. code under
arch/powerpc.

If it is in the way maybe KCFLAGS=-Wno-error or similar may serve as a
workaround? Or KBUILD_ENABLE_EXTRA_GCC_CHECKS="" ?

This behaviour can be disabled by setting CONFIG_PPC_DISABLE_WERROR, find
under "Kernel hacking".

Cf. Documentation/kbuild/kbuild.txt

You didn't say what kernel version - I just went to LXR for the latest.

My question is in general, is there somewhere where the relationship
between kernel version and gcc version (or other compiler version) is made
explicit?

Not that I know of. The minimal versions of everything needed are in
Documentation/Changes. I guess you are not interested in "minimal".

I would be very much surprised if the kernel could not be built with
gcc-4.6 - this is stock on Fedora, so lots of people must be using it.
Maybe not on PowerPC, though

Recent kernel versions surely have all these warnings fixed. The kernel in
question, I suppose, is quite ancient.

baruch

--
 EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
     - y...@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -