On Mon, 7 May 2012, Shlomo Solomon wrote:

My computer is dying. For reasons not relevant to this post I'm sure it's a
hardware problem, so I'll probably be buying a new one.

I have a generic SAA7130 PCI TV card that has worked for years. It's connected
to the analogue output of a YES "MEMIR" (and before that to HOT). I use tvtime
(and sometimes xawtv)  as my TV viewer.

Unfortunately, new computers no longer have PCI slots, so I'll need a new card
(or more probably a USB dongle). I've Googled for recommendations, but haven't
really found a solution. Does anyone on the list have a working solution to
suggest? My needs are simple. I just want to connect to my "MEMIR" and watch
TV in a window, while using the computer for writing, browsing, etc. The
possibility to record TV programs would be nice, but is NOT essential.

I bought about a year ago the chepest such device that is available on ebay. The one I bought looks exactly like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EasyCap-USB-2-0-Video-TV-DVD-VHS-Audio-Capture-Adapter-for-Windows-vista-win-7-/330726120826?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item4d00d01d7a

And works with linux. It is of course a bet, because a new one might use another chipset which does not work in Linux. You can buy from an Israeli site for at least twice the price if you care for faster shipping. You can probably also buy it from a local shop (for quadruple the price), with a pre-arrangement that you may return the device if it does not work in Linux.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         ma...@svgalib.org