Hi Dov,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The advantage of using Qt or Gtk compared with some of the other gui
> toolkits mentioned (fltk, Tcl/Tk, SDL, or Matlab GUI) are that they are

You should not lump SDL together with FLTK, Tcl/Tk and Matlab GUI,
because it is not a GUI library, not intended to be
one. Reading from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer :

<<<
Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) is a cross-platform, free and open
source multimedia library written in C that presents a simple
interface to various platforms' graphics, sound, and input devices.

SDL has the word "layer" in its title because it is actually a wrapper
around operating-system-specific functions. The main purpose of SDL is
to provide a common framework for accessing these functions. For
further functionality beyond this goal, many libraries have been
created to work on top of SDL.[1]

> complete (lots of widgets, internationalization and localization support
> etc) if the prototype turns into something bigger than was initially
> envisioned. To often have I seen tools that were written like "oh, its's
> only for me" and then a company is trying to figure out how to deploy and
> support the tool. I therefore thing it is worth taking the time to learn
> complexity of one of these GUI's, and then use it.

Right, many one-off tools tend to outgrow their original purpose.

Regards,

    Shlomi Fish