Yes, they have an agreement. See
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3828098,00.html

1. That article is 2 and 1/2 years old. A lot may have changed since then.

2. Rami Levi just renegotiated their contract with Pelephone, it was about to expire in late June or early July and they were trying to make a deal with Orange. They ended up staying with Pelephone.

3. Until we signed up for an "unlimited" plan with Orange, we were paying 50ag for incoming messages. Since we rarely text it was not an issue (it did not add significantly to our bill) until my son ran up a 500 NIS phone bill calling his girlfriend and was told to cut it out.

He found a Hebrew site that sends free SMSs and ran up another 400 NIS in SMS charges before we got the next bill.

So not only check your bill carefully, but before you start sending lots of free SMSs, make sure it does not cost you to receive them.

Not that it matters much, but I believe if you have a Huawei USB modem on your asterisk system, you can send an SMS with it. I use it to make calls but have never gone to the effort of figuring out how to send an SMS.

If I remember correctly there is a similar channel driver for some models of Nokia phones, connected via USB or Bluetooth.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379