I don't have experience with ATI but they should work. I don't know how the drivers are.

NVIDIA works great for me, but I use the propriety drivers, not nouveau as I need the GPU for CUDA/OpenCL. CUDA is nvidia only, OpenCL at least under windows works on ATI, NVIDIA and ivy bridge Intel GPUs and all CPUs, but you need appropriate drivers. Under Linux I know that OpenCL works on NVIDIA and AMD with propriety drivers, CUDA works under NVIDIA with the same limitation. AMD used to have some limitations with their OpenCL implementation in terms of memory transfer rates and kernel launch delays, I believe that these have improved. I don't know if Intel has a driver for Linux.

To sum things up, you are probably OK with both options, but you will need to use propriety drivers for OpenCL/CUDA at this point, and I believe that if you go propriety, NVIDIA has a better driver.

All modern cards have at least two ports, the cheaper ones may have one DVI and one VGA, the higher end ones can go up to three or four displays with multiple DVI and HDMI or display port.

If the CUDA code is older, you may be better getting the older 5xx series NVIDIAs, as NVIDIA did some hardware changes that makes writing code for kepler a bit harder. They also increased compute power but not memory speed, so not all codes benefit from the increase. If you do want to run CUDA/OpenCL with a worthwhile speed, I would go for the gtx 570 (Fermi) or the gtx 670 (Kepler). If you skip CUDA you can go for middle end cards.