Replying to my own post with a partial solution.

I reformatted the disk from NTFS to FAT32 and both read and write speeds
are now about 6 minutes for 1 GB - a big improvement, but still not
great (3 times as fast as the NTFS write speed but still only about 1/10
the speed of connecting to a USB port on my computer).

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net