On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 01:37:35PM +0200, Mord Behar wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Nadav Har'El <n...@math.technion.ac.il>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2012, David Suna wrote about "Home made NAS":
> > >     I have a bunch of old machines lying around which are currently just
> > >     collecting dust.&nbsp; I would like to collect the disks from all of
> > >     them, put them together into a single server to act as a file server
> >
> > A couple of years I started doing something similar to what you are
> > planning.
> > I took an old computer, and stuck in it a bunch of hard disks I had from
> > previous years - one was 1 terabyte, another 300 gigabyte, and a third
> > 80 gigabytes. The computer ran Linux, and served files (mostly CDs and
> > DVDs)
> > on my home network with NFS and Samba.
> >
> > But then I realized how annoying this setup was: the computer was very big,
> > noisy, and had to be on all the time. The old disks (especially the 80
> > gigabytes) were a joke, and I all three disks summed together were
> > smaller than a just new disk I could buy.
> >
> > Instead, I decided to buy a 2-terabyte WD My Book Live for $160.
> >
> > For this price, I got both the 2TB hard-disk and a tiny (ARM-based)
> > server in one package. The package is 10 times smaller than my old
> > computer,
> > nearly silent, and uses up less electricity, and came preconfigured with
> > the server software (it runs Linux, but you don't have direct access to
> > it).
> >
> > So in my opinion, unless you're completely broke, and/or treating this
> > as nothing more than an educational experience, building a NAS out of
> > old equipment is waste of your energy.
> >

> Unless you hook them up to a Raspberry Pi. That is silent, takes very
> little electricity and can probably do what you want.

A Raspberry Pi is relatively cheap, but is certainly not the only small
device around.

http://linux-sunxi.org/Mele_A1000
Includes a SATA adapter and a disk enclosure (you'll have to provide
your own disk). It does cost a bit more than a Pi, and the code is not
in mainline yet, but it's easier to work with than a Pi.

There are lots of them.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best