On 2012-12-27 15:05, Amichai Rotman wrote:
Hello,

It would've been nice to start a website where people could refer to to find out all the practical issues of installing / using FLOSS in Israel:
As I see it, the problem is maintaining the site, not the initialization of it. Are crowd is small, the world is big, English wise.

* A hardware DB where they can look up a device by category (i.e. Motherboard) and check the compatibility sorted by distro etc.
Google it, coping vendor specifications to the site is probably, not the idea, and if there are no vendor specifications are are site will have less then the net.

* A list of Israeli Linux friendly vendors (including vendors outside Israel that are willing to ship their products to Israel hustle free).
There are one and a half  Pre-installed Linux PC/Laptops ready for shipment. But, by the time one of us gets an experience of the ordeal, it will not be relevant to another. First two in http://linuxpreloaded.com ie. System76, ZaReason are the famous ones, don't know if and how it gets to IL, but even if I did it would probably not be relevant to the next guys' purchase. How often do we as a community do that? We would be better of just searching "Pre Installed Linux Desktop" & contacting one off the sites from http://linuxpreloaded.com.

* Distro specific Installation Guides, pointing out any common pitfalls.
There are tones of sites for that, sum in Hebrew, which I think is a shame because of the reasons above. Computer installations is English it would be better if all those sites would do only the Hebrew specific sitings & problem solving.

Such sites might exist out there in the Net,
Yep, we have a lot of redundancy, we do not need to duplicate the web.
but none of them are Israeli  specific or in Hebrew and don't hold all the a fore mentioned features in one place...
Face it  IT/SYSADMIN is in English.
Another plus is the fact that the content will be socially contributed - by the users themselves.
That will be nice.

What do you think?
See in line :-)

Amichai Rotman
 Penguin - FLOSS Computer Service and Technical Consulting
 +972-73-7962360 ||  +972-54-4605787