We had an old horde install, in the end we just upgraded that, the new
horde is really nice, has a good AJAX interface, good interfaces for cell
phone etc. and can be installed and kept up to date using pear.

I can't say I looked enough at the other solutions to tell you which one is
better.

Roundcube iirc has a very nice looking AJAX interface but as far as I've
been able to find doesn't feature additional interfaces for smart phones,
simple browsers or no-ajax modes.

squirrelmail development seemed to be very slow. (it seems to still be
developed but the last stable is from 19 month ago)

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו