1. the seek occures whenever you perform random I/O, or when you "jump" between different areas of the disk when doing sequential I/O (i.e. you read from sector X to sector X+1000, and then you want to read from sector Z to sector Z+1000 - this "switch" will require a seek).

2. experience shows that for sequential I/O - the hard disk can give you sustained throughput without doing expensive seek operations. the manufacturer plans the mapping of logical blocks into the physical suface, in order to enable that.

3. regarding bus contention - the fact is, there are several busses used for hard disk I/O - the PCI bus (that normally is not saturated at all, at least not in a home PC) - on which both disk traffic and network traffic flows. then there's the bus of the disk - depending on the disk type and the controller configuration in your machine (e.g. you could have one disk controller conneted to 5 disks - which will compete on this disk bus - or you could have 5 different controllers, each connected to 1 disk - so the disks do not compete on the disk bus - only on the PCI bus - which is quite free normally on a home PC).

the screen controller is usually connected to a separate bus - so it doesn't compete with the disk contorller.

finally, there is contention on the interrupt controller's attention (or CPU's attention) - but due to the usae of DMA to pass the data - this only refers to control traffic - which is scarce.

by the way, disk addressing is normally done in LBA units (logical block address) - and for most disk devices (and SSDs) - an LBA is 512 bytes. the logical addresses don't tell you where the data is physically located on the disk - but *normally* the lower LBAs are on the outer tracks, and the higher LBAs are on the inner tracks - and through from/to the lower LBAs is better then throughput to the higher LBAs (e.g. if a disk gives you about 70MB/second from the lower LBAs - it could go as low as 40MB/second from the highest LBAs).

--guy