On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Shlomi Fish wrote:

P.S: another thing that annoys me about Debian is the fact that apt-get -y
dist-upgrade still sometimes halts the installation process to ask me
questions and prompts. This is a big misfeature and I wonder if there's a
way to make apt-get completely non-interactive.

You could reconfigure the debconf package - see dpkg-reconfigure(8). However, there are some questions that you probably should see when upgrading, for example when a config file that ships in a package has been modified since installation and you need to decide whether to install the new config file or stick with the old one. Having had to do this very thing today, sometime the answer was one and sometimes the answer was the other, and mostly it involved a bit of both (choosing one answer but adding some content from the other). The ability to view a diff betwee the files is a big help in these situations.

Geoff.