I have a 256MB modelB with an 8GB SD card and an external harddrive.
Postfix and dovecote don't take a lot of processing power, spamassassin
a bit more, but not so much.  I also have it running deluge, which
crashes a little too often for me, so I have a cron job running to
relaunch it if it crashes.  Fileserving works well.  I tried using it
as a SIP host but something wasn't working so I gave up on that one.  I
also tried owncloud, but it was way too laggy and also prone to
crashing, so I gave up on it also.

I haven't tried running a mumble or irc server, but I'm guessing it
should work.  mpd should work but it isn't something I particularly
need.  With how low the demand is on the server with postfix and
dovecot, I'm assuming that it should be able to run mailman for a
mailinglist easily.

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:08:19 +0300
Moish <mo...@mln.co.il> wrote:

> I'm using static ip from Netvision. 40+nis inc vat for 10mb/0.8 mb.
> What kind of storage do you use (usb disk, mem card..)?  How does RP
> perform?
>
> On 08/06/2014 12:27, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> I've registered a domain and set up my raspberry pi to recieve and
> send emails.  Everything seems to be working fine, except that emails
> that I send to gmail get rejected by google.  I've been told that
> google rejects email where the reverse-dns doesn't match the dns
> record, and because I don't have a static IP address there's not much
> I can do.
>
> Has anyone had success getting a static IP address without too much
> hassle? Currently I'm getting my internet through netvision, but we
> were planning on switching to 018 for their cheaper prices.
>
> Getting a static IP address seems like it would be the easiest option,
> followed by reconfiguring postfix to use a SMTP relay to send mail
> through another server, but I'd need to make sure that the header
> isn't changed (too much) if I do that.  Also I've found keeping my
> sanity involves interacting with Israeli beaurocracy as little as
> possible, so I'd rather not call netvision for a static IP since I'm
> planning on leaving them anyway.
>
> If anyone has any experience doing their own mail and want to share,
> I'd love to hear about it.
>
> -Efraim

Efraim Flashner
efraim.flash...@gmail.com 4096R/CA3D8351 created: 2013-10-08