Hi,

I have a marketing problem. Imagine a linux box running in runlevel 3,
no X. I want to have a special user who is only allowed to configure a
few things on the console (physcal, VMware, whatever), but - marketing
put their collective foot down hard here - the interface must "look
nice". Definition of "nice" will be made clear a few lines down.

The functional requirements are simple - a form with a few labeled input
fields (with default values filled in at the start) + "save" and
"cancel" buttons. The form may be full screen. I'd like to have the
application as the special user's login shell.

But, console only! What are my options for such an application? Is there
any toolkit capable of presenting a nice-looking form withut X?

Here are things I've thought about:

1. ncurses - obviously. Not a very sophisticated look, to the point that
   I can't be sure it will be acceptable - this is the "nice" border,
   and ncurses may actually be on the wong side of it. I'd prefer to
   research alternatives before suggesting it.

2. newt - seems similar to ncurses visually.

3. pdmenu - ugly as hell, and not sure forms are possible. Will never
   pass the nice-looking test.

4. A web server. Rather than have a special user with an app for the
   login shell, connect using a browser. Very good from the nice looking
   POV. However, can't run a web server, really, for reasons I won't go
   into.

5. dialog(1) - actualy may pass the muster... A notch beter looking than
   newt... My current favourite.

6. Various toolkits (Tcl/Tk, Tinker, etc.) would probably pass the
   aesthetics committee, but all seem to require X.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org