Buy/build an antenna. The one on the roof probably isn't tuned to the right freq., but you can try it (as the dongle only receives no harm can be done), once you get a connector from an electronic supply store(downtown TLV or muser etc. on the net).

p.s.: I would make sure the dongle works before, try it from the roof, direct line of site, or get closer if you know where it is coming from.

HTH,
:-)

On 2014-07-26 14:00, Amos Shapira wrote:
Hi,

I'm asking here since I saw that quiet a few members here mentioned using things like this in the past.

I bought a USB DVB dongle for my Cubox-I running OpenELEC (here is the item on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251537079924) and although it's well supported and the kernel recognises it without a hitch, scanning for channels (both through tvheadend and command line w_scan) can't lock on any channels.

I live less than 2 km from the antennas which broadcast to all of Sydney (~80km radius service area).

According to the instructions at http://baratel.com/guides/mythTV.htm, the internal antenna which comes with such dongles is worthless for more than 500m.

But the antenna input socket is not the standard wide one (e.g. like the one you can see in this wikipedia image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#mediaviewer/File:N_Connector.jpg) but something that looks like 1 mm headphone jack with an itsy bitsy hole in the middle.

Does anyone know how can I extend the reception for this baby?

I think of two main options:

1. Connect it to "normal"/"common" coaxial wall socket, so I can take advantage of the antenna on the roof.
2. Buy a bigger internal antenna which can connect to this weird jack.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Amos