Hi Oleg and Shimi.

I did not describe problem correctly.

This is not Linux sysadm problem.
I am fixing application  running on Debian,

I will take Oleg's advice to see cntlm source.

Today I was surprised by ldapsearch utility ( package ldap-utils) which reports that are several authentication mechanism available on AD server,
like GSS-API, KERBEROS, OTP
but it did not listed  NTLM  !!!

on the other hand I see that ad browser from sysinternals suite for windows do use NTLM ( wireshark sees it)

So I am confused now :
Can linux use NTLM as some backdoor method, or only windows can use it?

Perhaps NTLM plugin of openldap library is usable only on LDAP server to authenticate windows clients?

L.